‘Thanks for making me work hard!’, this is how one of our jury members saluted his task to pick the winners of #OEWeek23 Open Photo Competition. With the challenge to capture openness in one image, this year’s 95 submissions made it the most successful edition so far. It wasn’t only the level of participation that blew off my mind, but the very different meanings of open that a photo can hold for each person.
It was indeed a very difficult assignment I put to our international jury: Willem van Valkenburg, Director of the Extension School; Alan Levine, Strategy and Engagement Director, Open Education Global; Sharon Flynn, National Coordinator NTUTORR programme (THEA); and José Hekkens, Coordinator Open, Blended and Online Education at Industrial Design Engineering, TU Delft and one of the winners from last year’s competition. Thank you all for committing your time and your support to yet another little push for more openness.
And now, without further ado, the moment you have been waiting for… #OEWeek23 We Like Sharing Open Photo Competition awards go to:
- Open your eyes to knowledge, open a book! by Brenda Reyes Muñoz, released under CC0
- Portal to different worlds by Bhini Rani Chandan Malagar, released under CC0
- A diverse fundament by Martin Sand, released under CC BY
The jury also selected the following photos to be given an honourable mention:
- Open window textbook by Carel van der Lippe, released under CC BY-NC-ND
- Late Open Library by Alejandro van Breukelen García, released under CC BY-NC-SA
- Breaking through boundaries by Jochem van den Berge, released under CC0
- Shower of light by Simon Sit, released under CC0
The People’s Choice
Another very contested scenario, as 48 photographs received at least one vote. With 21% of the public vote, The People’s Choice award goes to:
Light in the distance by Patrick Snitjer, released under CC BY-NC-ND.
Congratulations to all the winners, but also kudos to every single one of you who participated in the competition, and every single person who spent some time in the last few weeks checking out the photos in We Like Sharing. We are now up to 884 images and nearly 400K views, which is more phenomenal than phenomenal!
If you feel inspired to take photos and would like to share them in We Like Sharing, here’s the link you need: http://bit.ly/WeLikeSharing
Are you looking forward to #OEWeek24 Open Photo Competition? Watch the space! 🙂